View Single Post
Old 05-21-2014, 12:20 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
I really don't have skin in the game on this, but do find people's choices and opinions interesting. I strongly suspect that if buyer had acquired this card at an estate or yard sale for $25.00 most here would slap him on the back with a great big attaboy and a cry of lament as to how they should be so lucky. Never mind that seller there is likely unsophisticated,might even be grieving, and probably can be excused for not knowing certain nuances about back scarcities. Yet when one of the brotherhood, who damn well should know what he is doing as he does it for a living, underprices his goods, it is only right that he be advised of his oversight (I won't even call it a mistake per se) so he can maximize his profit. IF you are one of those people I would be interested in how you reconcile the two situations.
In your example of the estate sale or the yard sale, if the seller didn’t know the value, then they should have done more research. They priced the card at an amount they felt comfortable with. If the seller did know the value and simply made a pricing a mistake, they have the right to back out of the sale before it is finalized. With eBay, the seller didn’t have a chance to back out due to a pricing mistake. That's the difference.

Edited to add: But let's turn it around, Todd. You are an attorney. Let's say you agree to take my case, but I have to put up a $5K retainer. Your secretary bills me for only $500 (she omits a zero from the bill). Do you still take my case with only a $500 retainer, or do you have your secretary contact me and tell me there was a pricing mistake? Just curious???

Last edited by vintagetoppsguy; 05-21-2014 at 12:29 PM.