View Single Post
Old 06-03-2018, 01:59 PM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
I said/asked myself that numerous times as well last night. Too many passes when the opportunities to shoot were the best choices.
I also thought they dumped and chased it way too much as well, but maybe that has a lot to do with the Caps forecheck?

Either way, they certainly aren't playing to their capabilities, imo, and almost look tired/lazy.

Hopefully the coach and the rest of the boys can pull it together real soon!
I saw it just the opposite. I thought they almost took too many shots, mostly low percentage. 25-30 footers, mostly straight on, that would be easy saves for Holtby if they got through. Their only realistic hope on those was for a tip or defection--they weren't even good rebound candidates. It was obvious the Caps were clogging up the shooting lanes, blocking 15 shots in the first period alone. Normally I'm all in favor of trying to get the puck to the net in any form as often as possible, but the Caps walled off the outside shot.

That's why I believe they should have dumped and chased more. Forechecking below the goal line was the strength of their productive fourth line--really the mantra of any fourth line--and IMO the Caps defensemen can be worn down with heavy hitting (other than Carlson and maybe Niskanen), which leads to turnovers. Instead the Gknights seemed frustrated. You say they seemed almost tired or lazy, but they just looked befuddled to me.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 06-03-2018 at 01:59 PM.