View Single Post
Old 02-10-2010, 09:32 AM
Graig Kreindler

Alright, I don't usually have anything to offer in these threads, as I find myself being more of an admirer than a collector. But, I was able to pick something up a couple of days ago that I'm pretty stoked about, as it's going to make a killer painting.

The image is of Ripper Collins coming home after one of his home runs during the 1934 season. He pretty much faded into obscurity, as his career numbers ended up being pretty pedestrian. But, in that championship season, he broke out with 35 round trippers, 128 RBIs and a .333 average. It's fair to say that he was pretty integral in the Cardinals' quest for the flag.

I absolutely adore the aesthetics of this photo, which is why I was interested in it. I seem to remember seeing a cropped version of it in one of Donald Honig's books form the late 70s/early 80s. Anywho, if nothing else, it provides a great view of Sportsman's Park from that year (certainly something that's very appealing to me), and the light patterns are just KILLER. So many dynamic diagonals going through the picture plane, and I can just see the left side of the field being enveloped by those cool shadows of the double-deck stadium, and then having those beautiful warm, bright colors where the sunlight hits the field and scoreboard. Breathtaking.

Alright, I'm done sounding like a loser. I'll definitely be painting this badboy someday...