View Single Post
Old 02-07-2018, 07:33 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

If nobody other than me cared about baseball cards, I guess I'd value it about the same as some other card that I like the look of, let's say the Stan Hack Diamond Stars card or a T206 Hal Chase portrait, which I'd be happy to pay $10-$20 for even if no one else wanted them just because of how old they are and how cool they look. Same for Ruth.

But this is kind of an old wound. At the risk of going a bit off-track here, I had exactly the card you describe and sold it for $2000 back in '05. Actually had it on eBay with a BIN for $2500, which someone clicked on when he wanted to just make an offer, then told me that he didn't want it for $2500, that he just wanted to offer $2000 but would throw in an extra $50 because he was a nice guy, then (over the next few weeks) bounced a check, then tried to send a second check to a P.O. Box via UPS (who won't deliver to a P.O. Box), then came on the forum when I posted about it to warn other sellers and criticized me for overreacting and not just trusting him, all while I was trying to not be evicted from my apartment because I suddenly found myself $2500 short. I was a student at the time, and that one card accounted for probably like 3/4 of the value of my entire collection.

I just read through the thread as a refresher. It was pretty much just as I remembered.

Last edited by darwinbulldog; 02-07-2018 at 07:34 AM.