Thread: Master sets ?
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2015, 12:38 PM

Default Master Set

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Mark just posted about finishing a 1997 master set . Is there a standard definition of a master set ? In my Topps sets I have tried to add all variations listed for each set in SCD or The Registry. I have also added an unopened pack.

For some years I have also added back stock differences...1953 ( bio differences), 1959 and 1960( white and gray backs) For 1952 I have added the red and black backs, but only some of the gray backs, and only some gray backs for 1954. What do people think should be included in a full master set ? What about inserts ? What about artificially created variations and parallels in modern sets ? And what about those pesky but unrecognized recurring print defects such as listed in the H&S 52 Super Set ?

There was a discussion about this on CU in regard to Topps Heritage sets. There seems to be a standard definition of a master set that includes about 540 cards...the base set, the SPs to get to 500 and 3 or 4 annual insert sets. But Chromes, panels and artificial and scarce "variations" are excluded.

Should the answers differ by pre and post war ? Should the answer in post war differ pre and post 1980 ( or pick another date ) ?

I posted this here but the question is just as interesting on each of,the boards...to me anyway. What is a master set ? Maybe this has been discussed in here already and if so maybe someone can post links to prior related threads. I know the question has been debated in regard to the 52 Topps set specifically in a couple of threads
I thought your Master Set included not only a pack, but a full box and at least 1 full printers sheet as well

Z