View Single Post
Old 08-21-2016, 06:50 PM
Scott ku.rtis

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravos4evr View Post
I have a hard time crowning a guy "the greatest Olympian" who did the same thing in 3 different races: sprinted. He ran 100m twice an olympics then 200m once. It's a great feat and all, but I'm just not impressed compared to winning 18 or 19 individual events over 4 olympics in different strokes and distances.

Or say the people who have won events in different sports and different olympics .

I tend to think the media hype machine and internet tends to push hyperbole to the point where any achievement now is "THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME" often, it just isn't.

Bolt, greatest sprinter in Olympic History sure, but I don't think he's in the top 5 of greatest olympians.
I am not calling him the greatest ever nor am I calling Tyson the greatest ever. What I am saying is that he brings gravity to the situation. Everyone stops and watches and says "Woah".

It's that aura of invincibility coupled with that aura of "I gotta watch." The Pinnacle for Tiger was probably when he slow-rolled that Nike ball putt in the late stages of a major win.

I think Owens and Lewis are all great comparisons. Jordan was in particular games, but he played nearly 100 per season, so it was different. Like Tyson, Bolt only works his craft a few times per year on a big stage. Bolt also has that Foreman charisma as well to sell bis sport.

I would say aside from Tyson, the only individual event that rivals Bolt for inevitability and anticipation was Federer-Nadal 2008 Wimbledon final.

Last edited by Tennis13; 08-21-2016 at 06:53 PM.