View Single Post
Old 08-21-2016, 07:17 PM
Nick Barnes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennis13 View Post
I am not calling him the greatest ever nor am I calling Tyson the greatest ever. What I am saying is that he brings gravity to the situation. Everyone stops and watches and says "Woah".

It's that aura of invincibility coupled with that aura of "I gotta watch." The Pinnacle for Tiger was probably when he slow-rolled that Nike ball putt in the late stages of a major win.

I think Owens and Lewis are all great comparisons. Jordan was in particular games, but he played nearly 100 per season, so it was different. Like Tyson, Bolt only works his craft a few times per year on a big stage. Bolt also has that Foreman charisma as well to sell bis sport.

I would say aside from Tyson, the only individual event that rivals Bolt for inevitability and anticipation was Federer-Nadal 2008 Wimbledon final.
I was referring more to the media hype than you or any other individual commenting in here. The sprints are high profile for the USA (like swimming) si our media tends to push it hard. I still think that Kim Rhode winning a skeet shooting medal in 6 straight olympics is one of the greatest olympic feats ever. 24 years!!!! Even if they aren't all gold, that's pretty amazing.

Hell, that women's wrestler who beat the japanese icon for the gold has been totally overlooked. It was like some nobody showing up and beating Bolt in the 100m!