View Single Post
Old 10-16-2016, 07:07 PM

Dale,

Thanks ever so much for taking the time and trouble to load up those scans from your dear Dad of his Bee Hive advertising piece and mailing envelope. I find those beautiful artifacts complement our actual cards we've collected, or were given by our father, mother, relative, or friend.

In my book on postwar regional / food issues from 1947 -- 1971, I was able to come up with original ads from the 1959 Bell Brand snack chips Los Angeles Rams, as well as a 1962 Salada Coins ad that appeared in a Sunday Funnies section.

I would have loved to write a chapter on the 1968-1969 Shirriff Hockey Coins. I ran out of time, money, and space. My aim was to contact Wayne Gretzky and sit down with The Great One to discuss this set, which was a favorite of his growing up in Brantford, Ontario.

However, my introduction carries some small and larger appetizer sized entrees of hockey issue. They concern, of all things, the beautiful Bee Hives, as well as the 1968-69 Shirriff. Since I couldn't do a chapter, I made sure I had something I felt packed a big punch. As much as you guys enjoy hockey items, you still might not pop for the $30 my e-book on a CD costs. Still, I know you guys would love those parts. Honestly, though, almost the entire book is on baseball items, and those might be nonentities with you hockey guys. I understand.

Again, Dale, thanks for loading those artifacts up.

True, PSA and SGC grade the Type III Bee Hives. Thanks, Jim, for providing us with SGC's fine holder for the Type III Bee Hives. I went to SGC when PSA refused to do a few of my over-sized Mickey Mantle cards; I was stunned when PSA turned me down, but SGC came to the rescue! PSA uses their special T-3 holders to encapsulate the Bee Hives, that are extra heavy and tough, and fit the cards nicely. Bee Hives look terrific and feel extra important in those heavy holders.

DO NOT GIVE UP ON PSA GRADING THE EARLIER BEE HIVES. Mount an offensive at PSA. I don't mean a petition them or cuss them out. That will do nothing. "Dropping the gloves" would work, but you'd pay for it in the end--HA!!

Rather, present a serious treatise on the Bee Hives. Explaining to them their manner of issue, providing a value basis from previous sales, such as the one you gave on Canadien Cy Wentworth, and providing a list of would-be loyal PSA customers IF PSA would listen to your case and start grading the early BEE HIVES, and finally, assure them of the names of say, 3 deeply serious and knowledgeable Bee Hive collectors, who could serve as trainers and educators for PSA's graders on the Bee Hives.

By preparing a good detailed primer of the Bee Hives on paper, and as I may have said, after they get it and have had a chance to read it, then set up a conference call with Joe Orlando, or whoever from PSA grading will want to hear them out and answer any questions on grading the Bee Hives. This would be a pro-active approach.

This could be a win-win situation for PSA and youse guys. Food for thought.

Don't forget about my book, NEVER CHEAPER BY THE DOZEN. Thirty bucks is thirty bucks, I know. However, with what little I still wrote on the Bee Hives and the Shirriff coins, you'd get a kick out of those!

No hard feelings if you decide to pass.

Thanks again, friend, as well as for sharing the photos of your son with Andrew Shaw. Priceless! I mean it, man, they are priceless. So glad to hear his experience was great. Hockey players are still some of the greatest people with their adoring fans.

Better go. Take care, guys. ---Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 10-16-2016 at 07:10 PM.