View Single Post
Old 01-09-2018, 07:31 AM

Default Biggest years in the hobby- Modern

I was thinking yesterday about the biggest years in the hobby, at least since 1980. By biggest, I guess I mean most noteworthy and exciting but feel free to add your own adjectives. I wasn't really thinking of valuable cards, just years which were pivotal in the hobby.

-1981- First year Topps monopoly broken, 3 major sets plus lots of minor sets (Drakes, Coke, etc). Guy burns 52 Mantle, Baseball strike, first Topps boxed traded set.

-1984- Rookie card mania, Mattingly and Strawberry. Short printed Fleer and Donruss sets. First Tiffany sets, First Fleer Update set short printed. First Beckett Monthly

-1987- Giant production, Rookie card mania with Canseco, Bonds, McGwire, dozens of others, most of which are commons now.

-1989- First year of Upper Deck, spawned higher end issues for first time. Otherwise RAMPANT over production. Also football/basketball get popular with ProSet and Hoops leading the way.

-1998- Pinnacle/Score bankruptcy, game used started to emerge a little. Sosa/McGwire home run race set cards on fire.

-2005- Maybe more infamous, steroid scandal craters 80's rookies, Fleer fails, Donruss loses license.