View Single Post
Old 04-25-2018, 10:09 AM
Jonathan Sterling

I started going to baseball card shows in 1973 I was 12 and most of the people in the room looked like adults to me. I met some other kids Rob lifson stands out. And it seemed like a long time until that changed but in the mid 1980's kids made up at least half of the crowd.
Now there were collectors of every type I knew guys who would not buy a card newer than 1920. I knew a lot of collectors who collected Goudey's and play ball's as kids who loved 1930's cards. I grew to love them too. It was very personal stories of games guys went to Gehrig Joe D Dean Hubbell ( William's but I don't many red sox fans) Teams they saw 35 tigers gas house gang 36 thru 39 Yankees. Then Mantle and May's
Card collecting is a personal thing. Those guys who collected in the 30's are very old now or passed on. And those sets do not get the attention they once did. I see that happening one day to the 50's and so on. Baseball has trouble drawing kids. Not my kids they go to games. But they don't collect. I collect more memorabilia now than cards. Things change over time but iconic cards are just that not just name but image. Wagner Ruth 33 Cobb t206 52 Mantle rookie is best example Jackie 47 Griffey rookie. They will always endure. I hope..