View Single Post
Old 02-27-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookiemonster View Post
Well some people consider gambling a sickness and modern cards are a gamble.
I started as a modern collector . Obviously by buying packs and trading with friends. Later I started to purchase the cards I wanted. I made the change when I got so disgusted with buying packs and boxes. Then the steroids put a damper on my single card purchases .

So I moved to vintage and I still look back a lot .what do I mean by that lol well I still buy some packs from time to time . Mostly for my five year old son but I might grab a few for myself here and there. I still have my childhood and teen and early 20s collection which is all modern.

Like they say collect what you like . Also a change from the norm is always a good idea. BUT KNOW That if trout ever gets caught using ( Ryan Braun) Peds. It's gonna hurt ! If jeter name comes out in the Mitchell report. The burn will be deep. This is a gamble .
Modern cards are only a gamble if you let them become a gamble. Nobody's forcing anybody to buy $500 boxes. You can still go to Target and buy a pack of cards for a couple of bucks and put together a set with a couple of 40-50 dollar boxes. I understand not wanting to part with one's money but you can still collect on the cheap. You can hop on ebay or BBCE and buy packs/boxes/singles/complete sets on the cheap. People choose not to collect those products then complain about the lack of value in the boxes they do open. It boggles my mind.

I personally stick to singles and pick up a few boxes of Topps Heritage and the base Upper Deck hockey sets. Two-three boxes of each and I have complete base sets + most of the SPs.

As for Jeter and the Mitchell Report--that was published in 2007 and he wasn't mentioned. What am I missing?

As for the question at hand--I actually did the opposite and sold a Trout Bowman Chrome to fund a '53 Topps Mantle, which I used to build some funding for a Hank Aaron rookie. Collect what you like! If you're looking for a modern investment--the Bowman Chrome Trout card is going to be worth quite a bit for a long, long time. The 2011 Topps Update base card of Trout is another solid option. Pretty easy to find and it's only now starting to creep over the $100 mark consistently.

Last edited by WillBBC; 02-27-2017 at 10:19 AM.