View Single Post
Old 06-27-2017, 11:07 AM
David Kathman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
I will also point out, in addition to the yearly Beckett guide, Mark Lewis and Warren Karp created Card Price Update that year.

That was the first monthly baseball card pricing magazine (although printed on newsprint) and the impact of monthly pricing was huge during the 1979-80 boom. Led by the 1952 Mantle as noted, there was an amazing price uptick to match the gold/silver explosion of that time.

Now there were issues with CPU, but the success did lead many years later to Dr. Beckett creating his own monthly magazine and you all know where Beckett went from there. (That's a book in itself done correctly)

Rich
Below is the debut issue of Card Prices Update from September 1979, with the 52 Mantle on the cover. Following that is an article from the July 1984 Baseball Card News about Beckett's successful lawsuit against CPU, which led to CPU ceasing publication immediately and Beckett launching his monthly price guide magazine in November of that year. Another of the monthly price guides that had sprung up, Current Card Prices (launched in January 1983), doesn't seem to have been affected by this lawsuit, since it continued publishing until at least 1991. I'm not sure why it wasn't affected, but I'm not a lawyer.