View Single Post
Old 05-19-2017, 02:08 PM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I don't know if our new registrant will make it onto the board but I will take the liberty of cutting and pasting and keeping him anonymous for now.
I am sure he would want to help collectors out...

Good afternoon — My name is JB from Saratoga Springs NY and a collector of baseball cards for almost 65 years. I do not formally belong to any online sport cards groups, but have traded with 5 or 6 members of Vintage Card Traders, at least one of which I believe is a member of your group.

I have been a “lurker" for many years reading your many interesting threads, and at times I wished I could have provided some insight into my experiences — a kid buying and trading primarily baseball cards in the 1950s. Recently, someone made the case that perhaps rubber band damage on cards may not always have been for #1 (or the last card) in the set. I would concur as my brothers, friends and I would always arrange our cards by teams, not by numbers, and not until 1956 with checklists did we even know how many cards were in the set.

Today I saw a post about NY Journal American “cards.” I remember them distinctly having grown up in the Hartford CT area. I believe they were placed loosely in the newspaper. If a person was not careful, they easily fell out of the newspaper. I remember finding them in bushes where paper trash blew near the store where I bought Topps and Bowman cards. I still have some of those NY Journal American cards.

So, I am interested in becoming a member of Net 54 forum, as perhaps I can share some first-hand knowledge of card-collecting in the 1950s. I do not pretend to be a guru like some of your other members; I am just a guy who enjoyed and still enjoys card collecting. Please let me know what it takes to become a member.

Thanks.

JB

Thanks for passing along, Leon. JB, thanks for the information and cool story about the 1954 NY Journal American cards. I'd love to find a few of them today in some bushes! It's also fascinating to hear that you've kept some of them in your collection all this time.