View Single Post
Old 09-24-2017, 06:11 AM

Default parkhurst

I am not sure of the real reason why there does not seem to be a lot of these graded.But I would think that condition is likely one of the biggest reasons.To me it does not make a lot of sense to grade cards from these two sets only to end up with a 3 or a 4. Grading is not cheap and the time and effort does not warrant the end result. In a lot of cases you need to pay $10 or more for a decent single raw.The same card if only graded a 3 or a 4 may not bring much more than $20-$25.So really what was the point in sending it in to PSA or who ever for grading.If it is just about the bottom line then selling it raw may have been the best choice.Now if graded cards is your preference then I say do it.Also you have to maybe consider the production run.After all how many cases of wrestling cards would you think might sell back in the 50's as compared to sports cards.

I think that the reason for so many cards to be found in less then great condition is that these might have been played with more.They likely were a lot less cared for then the hockey cards were from the same time period. I think that people who were buying wrestling cards may not have been buying so many hockey cards. If they were buying any at all.

I really took a liking to the 1955 Parkhurst wrestling set myself. I liked the color and I really liked the green backs.Sort of reminds me of the Quaker Oats hockey cards from the same year. I have built 6 complete sets of the 1955 Parkhurst and have well over 100 extra.Only did one 1954 Parkhurst wrestling set and still have quite a few extra singles. But I have also started a graded 1955 set.Have about half the set.Not a high grade set at all.My plan is to pull enough cards from my raw sets and have them graded so that I will have a completely graded set as well.But it is something that requires a fair bit of responsible thought.Most likely what I have will only be 4's-6's graded and it will cost me nearly a grand to do so.Is it worth it? No not at all.But I just think it may be neat to have a complete graded set to go along with the raw sets.

Good luck with your collecting if you are starting in on the wrestling sets.I have never seen the other set that you mentioned. Living here in Canada we may never had been offered those since like you said that they seem to have been a regional release.