View Single Post
Old 08-06-2015, 07:45 PM
Steve Birmingham

Not with cards, although there's always the random "find" at retail or unexpected card that ends up in a large lot. Like finding a box of edge masters in K mart that was still shrink wrapped. Didn't scan as a box sale, but did scan with a per pack price that was about half what they were in card shops. Very strange since I don't think those were supposed to be retail. And a couple boxes of cello packs at the flea market. The seller was more liquidator than dealer, if a dealer closed he'd buy all or most of the stock. The boxes looked opened and messed with, and he said they'd been searched. And that the wax boxes from the same guy had been opened and sort of resealed. Bought a couple cello boxes and a wax box. Yep, cellos were messed with no stars on top, but way too many packs with the same cards on top. And fairly big names inside once opened. The wax had indeed been opened and resealed. with stacks of 20 cards all the same star. So 20 Kirby Puckett, 20 Tony Gwynn etc.

Recently I bought some 1800's stamped envelopes on ebay. three for $10, right about retail. Finally got around to identifying them to put in the collection or the for sale pile. which meant opening them to get a good look at the watermark. One of the envelopes had been used as storage by a collector probably quite some time ago. So three items fell out into my hand. One was pretty much trash, a strip of paper with halves of three cheap but really old Austrian stamps. (No, not bisects, just a strip off an envelope torn in half) but it was wrapped around two US stamps that were worth around $30 not a bad little find that obviously had been missed by several dealers and collectors.

Steve B