View Single Post
Old 05-22-2018, 08:25 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klrdds View Post
Quite simply Campanella could not sign after his accident . Autograph requests via the mail were either a facsimile signed photo or a stamped signature on your item that you sent . In person he would give out these same photos or stamped cards. Then in the mid 1980s during the autograph craze a device was designed for him that he would "wear and use" to sign your autographs at shows . Flats were easy to do but baseballs did pose a problem and bats and jerseys were rare. Also at that time I believe he was the most expensive in person autograph signing fee on the show circuit . I remember fees of $250 -$350 per item at the National Pastime shows and at the National. So technically to an autograph purist after the accident he couldn't sign his name ever , and collectors at the time would not take his device assisted signatures as a "real" Campanella signature since it was done with the assistance of the signing device .
I would see him and his wife Roxy at the games on the old club level. There was one spot for his wheel chair and one seat for Roxy just to the left of home plate. I would just stand by him and watch in AWE. My friend handed him a ball to sign and his wife signed it for him. Didn't do a bad job either. There are pics out there of him using the signing apparatus. Also, he signed swatches of the balls laying flat with the machine and then they were sewed together. That's why all of the balls stamps are upside down he scribbled back then.

Last edited by Fuddjcal; 05-22-2018 at 08:26 AM.