View Single Post
Old 02-04-2016, 10:54 AM
Scott ku.rtis

Default Serious (but naive) Questions from a New Member

Hello all:

I have collected 1933 Goudey's with my dad over the past 20+ years. He first purchased about 80 Goudey's from a friend of his in like 1994. They included a few Gehrig's, and a few Ruth's. Some are duplicates, and we still need the red and yellow one. A few years ago, we decided to get serious and went to the National in Cleveland. We purchased an SGC graded Lou Gehrig #92 for that set that year. I have also personally purchased a high-grade SGC 1934 yellow Lou Gehrig on my own at the national.

So I have a few questions, none of which are pressing, but are always kicking around in the back of my mind:

1) Do we get the cards we purchased in 1994 graded/authenticated? From everything I read, I would not be shocked if in some non-determined time, literally everything authenticated before some particular date may need to be re-authenticated for anyone to have a piece of mind that it's legitimate.

2) Let's assume #1 never happens, and everyone continues in this sort of odd vacuum, and I have these SGC authenticated cards, are they just taken to be legitimate as long as the case never breaks? I believe 100% that it went through what the hobby deems "proper authentication channels", but it seems to me that even proper channels are grossly flawed. I bought mine at the national from a dealer that I've seen listed as "trusted" but then I read the forums the past week, and that "trusted" tag for anyone isn't worth the paper it's written on apparently. However, he's not the sort of guy that would break open a case after it's authenticated, and my hunch is he wasn't the one that got it authenticated originally. But how do I know it's not a Mastro "authentic" one, right? So, I'm 99% sure it's authentic, but that nagging 1%, how do you all deal with that?

3) Finally, let's say at some point I want to sell it. This is the irony of all ironies. My ebay account maybe has like 25 stars or so over the past decade. I have nothing to hide -- but it seems that the only way to gain trust that your product is legitimate is to use a big auction house, which . Yeah. So, is there ever an out trade, a way in which I don't need to use these places, but still have it be deemed legitimate? How do you all trade off-market, or with trust? I have zero to desire to eventually help perpetuate any of the people/places on the document that was published last week.

I know this is a long post, but I don't know how else to express my questions/concerns.