View Single Post
Old 03-24-2008, 09:04 PM
Administrator

Default Errors & Variation Discoveries Thread

Posted By: Elm

Here's a good example of what I'm talking about:
http://cgi.ebay.com/1991-Topps-Mike-Scott-Unlisted-Error-Variation_W0QQitemZ230235539612QQihZ013QQcategoryZ 55934QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I would bet that virtually every single one of his auctions for "unlisted variations" is the same type of basic printing anomaly. If you have multiples of any card from any year, chances are you will find all sorts of things like this--colors missing or 'blobs' or what not.

The 1958 yellow/white cards and the 1969 WL cards are definitely, by definition, variations. Topps had to go in and change the plates to make the correct colors appear in later runs.

I agree with you on the 1958 "Herrer," etc. They are very interesting and rare, but still not true variations in my book. Very desirable just the same. I wish there was a whole separate category for such cards.

Edited to add (and to fix link problems):
"And what about the 5 versions of the 55 Sullivan (106) and the three of Elliot (137)...print defects or variations? SCD list a " variation" of card 273 in the 1973 set ( Williams). It is a broken gap. Hundreds of broken gap cards now show up on e bay involving vitualy every Topps issue."

I'm unfamiliar with the first two, because I don't collect that year, but man are you right about the broken gap cards. They are sprouting up all over the place. It's a result of simple print anomalies, usually a problem on the black plates. Again, Topps didn't do anything to make them into true variations. IMO, none of them should be listed as separate variations.