View Single Post
Old 12-28-2016, 08:07 AM
Kyle May

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
Before anyone gets all excited thinking their cards/collections are safe from theft, think again.
I was very close to purchasing a safe myself, and still may for the fire protection side of it, but not for stopping thieves.

I know nothing is a 100% fool proof and if someone wants something bad enough, they'll get it, but this was a real eye opener for me.

Not sure what the alternatives are but something has to be out there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3p5KUNfDG0
Both fireproof safes I have are 95 lbs empty. Granted I'm not that big and can lift it myself, but it definitely takes some effort and you're not going anywhere quickly or easily. Thieves are going to go after easily accessible stuff - my Xbox, TV, etc. I want to protect more against the fire/water damage side of things, though. Mistakes happen more often than theft, and I'd rather not bet against my human-error nature.

Also, if you get a very large gun safe (64 guns), especially a Liberty Safe, you're pretty much set. If someone does steal it, commend them - they have truly mastered theft. Those things weigh around 900-1000 lbs and have a great security system on them. You could store A LOT of cards on one of those bad boys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Safe deposit box the best, insure the rest. Forget about the safe. Besides, if you keep all your valuable stuff in a safe you just packed it all up nicely for a burglar or gave a robber something to force you to open while he holds a gun to your kid's head.
Not to further open the previously opened can of worms, but this is one reason why I have firearms.

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame