View Single Post
Old 05-10-2003, 09:12 PM
Administrator

Default Storing/displaying cabinets, Old Judge's etc.

Posted By: Hankron

The biggest concern is excess light. For preservation, the ultimate is to never expose them to light. However, if you really want to display them and are careful, you can. Never display them so that they get direct sunlight or are in an overly lit room (ala sunporch). Too much direct artificial light isn't good either. I have some 19th century photographs framed and hung from walls, and they are in hallways that have no windows and get minimal light except when someone turns on the light to go through the hallway. If you have a windowless den or office and, when your gone, it's black inside, you should not have problem. So, as long as you are aware that the less light the better and take the neccesary precations, you can display them. Also, you might wish to matt and frame them with UV repellant glass.

Aesthetics-wise, I think framing and matting them is the most attractive presentation (my opinion only), but I have also displayed some in metal plate stands.

Other than the sunlight issue, the photo types you mentioned are physically strong and can take a bit of abuse.