View Single Post
Old 09-15-2015, 08:33 AM
John

Default Fantasy Football…. Circa 1930s

Hi All,

With week 1 of fantasy football now in the books, it reminded me of something I did for fun and posted on another forum…. I hope someone else enjoys reading it or even better wants to discuss with me. And if anyone has some images to post, to help keep me from getting kicked to the watercooler section, I won’t object. I would argue its somewhat relevant to the hobby as the 30s has some players that we collect and sometimes its fun just to think about the history behind the cards…

Finally, please note, this is a 100% subjective exercise, heck it came out different each of the two times I did it - and I’m the same person! I got the idea from someone who made their own all-decade teams on a football (non-hobby) forum, but added some twists to it. (Sadly, there was zero interest in the 20s-50s, once Jim Brown came up, there was some discussion from what I recall) My twist was the fantasy draft - I’d rather make 6 teams than just one and its fun too because I did it just like a draft - for every pick I asked myself, what do I want this team to look like, what does it need, etc.

Without further ado:

Ground Rules:

-5 coaches plus myself, I took the last pick and randomly ordered the other 5

-draft consists of 13 rounds, teams must fill each of the 11 starting positions first. Once all 11 starting slots are filled, 2 reserves are chosen i.e. no hoarding players to keep others from getting them

-the order reverses in each round so with my 6th pick in round 1, I’ll also get the first pick in round 2

-the player pool consists of all players who played at least 3 seasons from 1930-1939 (used profootball reference to confirm this). Three was an arbitrary choice - two seemed like it was too few and four seemed like too many given a lot of guys from this era had short careers as they moved on to coaching or better paying jobs.

-the year of the player chosen will be specified which explains why the guys who are at the tail end of their careers will likely be picked later in the draft

-I’m not going to be a stickler regarding side of the field. Thus 2 ends, 2 tackles, 2 guards regardless of left v. right. The backs (esp. WB/RH) may be placed in positions that weren’t necessarily their primary positions, but nothing absurd/unrealistic and such deviations will be explained.

-Defense matters, but will be kept simple. All teams will play a 6-2-2-1 where the ends are on the line of scrimmage and the C and FB are the linebackers. Deviations will be explained.

-Finally, no player coaches. This only impacts Steve Owen who would've been drafted as a tackle were he not a coach.

Participants:

Team George Halas (T formation/Balanced Line, QB replaces BB, RH replaces WB)

Team Potsy Clark (Single Wing/UnBalanced Line)

Team Steve Owen (Single Wing/UnBalanced Line)

Team Curly Lambeau (Balanced Line, Since there is evidence that Lambeau split Hutson and Blood out like modern WRs, I’m going to use the terminology TB, BB, FB, WB, SE, SE for this team)

Team Eddie Casey (The least well known of the coaches, other than myself, but selected on strength of his 240 Tips) (Balanced Line, Since there is evidence the Redskins used a formation similar to a SG 4WR set with Baugh, I’m going to use the terminology QB, FB, E, E, WB, WB)

My Team (Single Wing/UnBalanced Line)

Last edited by TanksAndSpartans; 09-15-2015 at 05:15 PM.