View Single Post
Old 09-20-2019, 11:56 AM
Matt Ferroni

Not to be too off topic here but in response to the PSA reputation comment, I get it there is a scandal going on that no one really knows yet how deep it goes. But honestly, I live in a small town in Wisconsin. There are no old school card shops within 100 miles of me and the likelihood of me getting to a show anytime soon is low. My only option for buying cards is online and yes although the system is far from perfect, at least graded cards give some sense of a baseline for the condition you are buying in the get what to pay for sense.

I have tried buying raw vintage from carefully studied pics alone and 90% of the time am disappointed once I have the card in hand. There is also no guarantee that raw are unaltered in the first place. Yea I enjoy collecting cards as a hobby but also with a sense of some type of small side investment for my children. Not to put them through college but give them a handed down heirloom collection that may be valuable. To me, graded cards still represent some small sense of I know what I’m getting. Don’t mean to rant and by no means am I a PSA apologist I just think there is a ton of baby-with-the-bathwater reaction now before the dust settles.