View Single Post
Old 02-20-2011, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintacular View Post
Hmm, let me ask a few more q's Jimmy.

#1 How does the "To (name)" impact value
#2 How does print runs work? I know this copy is early 60s and even if it is '60 what if it is a later print run? And what if it is 63 (i.e. i'm not 100% it's a 1st edition) and signed?

Book has dust jacket and seems to be in great shape
Hey Patrick. Flat signed are almost always preferred but signed with an inscription is not that big of deal for book collectors as it is for the sports and entertainment collectors.

As I remember it, as far as print runs go, some are announced but many were just surmised by taking into account the era, the publisher, the Book Stores pre-orders, the popularity of the author, etc.

Again. I only collected for about 5 or 6 years and that was 15 years ago and I'm fairly certain that things have changed dramatically since the advent of Al Gore's Internet.

Many publisher's state the books issuance in different manners, so you need to be certain when your ready to spend a good chunk of cash. Living in So Cal we had quite a few really good used book stores and I learned most from two or three of them.

Just like collecting Baseball memorabilia, it's imperative to select a trusted dealer or three, that will help you even if you're not buying from him at that moment.

I still have about half of my "collectible" books that I've been thinking about putting them up on ebay. I sold most of my best stuff about ten years ago. Am happy to say, I made some pretty good dough on them. Which bankrolled my venture into Baseball photography.

If you can, please post as many good scans as you can and remember... the dust jacket RULES. Also important are scans of the info page (date printed, and what edition, etc.) the page where the signature is on. Images all around the book while it lies flat. All the corners. And TOP and Bottom pics of the spine, as well as a few images of the book itself with out the dust jacket. And. as long as you have the dust jack off, take some high-res photos of that as well.

My best, Jimmy