View Single Post
Old 07-22-2018, 07:12 AM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgar3 View Post
Bob, I once had your new Thompson Joe Wood image, along with a corresponding image of Mathewson with a bat, almost as if taken together.
On The Who was the photographer question I can’t add actual facts or citations, but I can say that as a collector of both Bain and Thompson images in the 80’s and 90’s, before the current craze, all the collectors I knew accepted that the photos were taken by various photographers working for a larger agency. Also I think you can notice quite a difference in some of the Thompson’s which can sometimes be just out of focus. For what it is worth, the early feeling amoung collectors ranked Thompson behind Bain and Conlan in value. All three were of the highest order. There was a show of their work just after the famous Baseball Magazine sale, in New York I believe, but I no longer have my photos or material.
Finally, if Sphere and Ash is who I think he is, he used to possess one of the 3 greatest photo collections I have ever seen and was considered one of the most knowledgeable collectors of the time, who was very helpful to a fellow collector with a small budget.
At the risk of sounding like an Old Timer, which I quess I am, this was all taking place when you could get 100’s of these photos at one time. We would sometimes hold drafts of collections we had purchased, with later trades etc.
the collections that I know are still out there are truly amazing.
Recent craze? Paul Thompson has been getting higher prices(particular in ruth) for a long while now. For good reason, they are beautiful images. Some of them rivaled by no one.
To say Paul Thompson was in no way a photographer and that he took zero photos ever, is just not factual. There is no way of knowing this and the library of Congress disagrees.
Even with a 1940 obit saying something, it was probably written by someone born in the 1800s. Photography was not a glamorous job. Talking in absolutes when absolutes aren’t known, or can never be proven seems odd to me. My guess is neither of you have Paul Thompson centric collections :-)
In my opinion, Paul Thompson credited photos are some of the greatest shots in baseball history. Some are perfect some are less than perfect just like Conlon, Bain, Van Oeyen etc..
I enjoy Some more than others but appreciate all of them.

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection

Last edited by Forever Young; 07-22-2018 at 07:13 AM.