View Single Post
Old 05-20-2019, 07:47 PM
Chris Counts

Default 1933 barnstorming photo: Need help with some IDs

I recently acquired this photo, which I've since learned in from Oct. 15, 1933, and includes players from "The Ty Cobb All-Stars" and the "Coast League All-Stars." The two teams played that day in Seals Stadium.

I've positively identified the following: Ty Cobb, Lefty O'Doul, Ernie Lombardi, Willie Kamm, Roy Johnson, Joe Cronin, Tony Lazzeri, Gus Suhr, Chick Hafey, Lefty Gomez and Dick Bartell.

There are several I can't be sure of — and perhaps never will be — including Carl Hubbell (Giants cap, Mission Reds jersey), Johnny Vergez (in Giants jersey, to his right), Babe Dahlgren (front, third from left) and Bucky Walters (front, far right).

I have no idea about the rest, so any help IDing them would be very much appreciated. The seller thought Joe DiMaggio was in there, but I don't see him. Curiously, both he and Vince (18 and 20, respectively) played in the game that day, which the Coast Leaguers won 5 to 3.

Also, I suspect this is a second generation photo because the writing seems too recent. Can anybody tell me for sure? I've posted a scan of the back. It should sure be nice if this was a period print.

Thanks again for any feedback, Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (81.1 KB, 206 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (77.8 KB, 205 views)
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (70.3 KB, 201 views)