View Single Post
Old 07-01-2006, 07:12 PM
Administrator

Default Your favorite player of all time

Posted By: Brad Freeman

This is an excellent question since it apparently lets us break it down into categories. With that in mind, here are mine:

1. Favorite players that I have seen play:

Hank Aaron--I was a 9 year old when he came to Milwaukee in 1954. I was raised in Beloit, Wisconsin and fortunately my dad took my brother and me to about 6 games per year. (Plus 1 game from both the 1957 and 1958 World Series.)Hank was so multi-dimensional: he could hit for average, for power (obviously) and could field well, throw well and could also steal a few bases.

Mickey Mantle--Speaking of the 1957 and 1958 World Series, I could not wait to see this guy play. All of the hype, etc. Was it worth it? Absolutely! I saw Mick knock out 2 home runs.

Ted Willliams--My dad took my brother and me to see him play in Comiskey Park in 1955 or 1956. Not sure which year. Anyway--my dad said before the game, "Wait until you see the smooth swing of Ted Williams!" Well--we were not disappointed. "The Kid" smoked one of the pitches into the right-center field bleachers for a home run. What a thrill in retrospect.

Willie Mays--Wow! My lasting impression of him was his laser-like throws from center field to cut down Braves' runners. Such an exciting talent.

Bob Gibson, Warren Spahn, Sandy Koufax. Yes--I saw all of them in person. One of the benefits of being older!

I have now taken up too much space for this topic and perhaps in the near future I can address the favorites of mine from the more distant past and the more current present. God, what a great game!