View Single Post
Old 06-02-2018, 05:48 AM
Brian
Brian Long.ley

When it's all said and done you can make arguments about many HOFs. How many are still truly great near the end of their career... they all have bottoms and peaks... Mickey Mantle, Willie Mays, and others included... Willie Mays hit 1 HR in the playoffs...

Jeter got the nicknames Mr November and Captain Clutch, and yes went to the postseason consistently and that's why he has many postseason records. Do you think maybe he had something to do with them going to the postseason??? He played in one game in his entire career that was meaningless...the Yankees were in some sort of playoff contention in every other regular or postseason game that he played. He has won World Series MVP... How many for Banks, oh how many playoffs did Banks go to.... none.... his 500 HRs and MVPs never got his team to the playoffs? How many World Series for Yount....none.... Yount never lead the league in any of the triple crown categories....which to you was a big knock on Jeter... One could argue Banks is only in the Hall because he hit 500 HRs... he was a terrible defensive SS.... but he won 2 MVPs, was Mr Cub and was beloved by many...but he barely hit .250 in any of his last 10 seasons, but to you he is amazing? I think he is amazing too, but more for than what just his stats say... most HOF players are more amazing than their stats say...

What means more to you? Having your favorite player win an MVP? Or you favorite team winning the World Series? Jeter played in a steroid induced era (hence his annual AL SS offensive numbers being 3rd behind ARod and Tejada, both known steroid users) and didn't cheat. Derek Jeter played consistently in the playoffs and in the biggest games, Jeters play to get Giambi at home, his dive into the stands vs the Red Sox, his HR in the 96 ALCS are the plays people remember...they don't remember that he hit only .250 in a postseason series, etc....

I'm a Yankees fan and Jeter was my favorite player... I have been to dozens of regular season games and I have been to World Series games watching him...the entire nation watched him numerous times on TV during the playoffs. Sure he had good and bad postseasons, back to Willie Mays... who was terrible in his few post season appearances...does that make Willie Mays less of a player? Based on your analysis it does....

You don't have to like him, or the Yankees.

Apparently there are many more people with lots of money that believe Jeter is one of the greats and value his rookie cards... especially his 93SP.... the money talks.

Last edited by BLongley; 06-03-2018 at 09:29 AM.