View Single Post
Old 04-04-2015, 04:12 AM
Bill Boyd

Dave,
I volunteer at a local Genealogy Society helping people research their families. I have been approached by the local Junior High School, that the History Club wished to research their families. So for the last month or so, I have been meeting with this History Club and teaching them how to research their families, mainly through the free sources that are available.
I have been pleasantly surprised that these kids are excited about doing their research. When they randomly yell out "I found my great grandfather", is very rewarding. Sparking their interest in their family history and what involvement their family may have had in shaping our towns, counties or countries histories, will certainly perk their interest when it comes time for them to study about our countries events.
We do our work in the school library, and at one of our sessions, several kids had to serve their detentions in the library. After the session was over, a couple of the kids serving their detentions, approached me about researching family histories. These kids are curious, they want to know about their family's past. This has turned out to be a very rewarding program. And it is something anyone can do with their children.

Last edited by billyb; 04-04-2015 at 04:13 AM.