View Single Post
Old 07-14-2017, 03:35 AM
Scott Silvers

Quote:
Originally Posted by orly57 View Post
This was one of the greatest errors/misprints of my youth. Just reading this thread made me want to buy one...until I saw the prices on them. I then thought, "these must be obscenely rare if a 7.5 is selling for 5k." But a quick look at the pop reports show there are over 190 graded between psa and sgc (I hate finding bvg pop reports). That's not really rare enough to warrant these prices in my opinion. It's a really cool card, and it's "rare" for FOR THE ERA, but it's a bit steep FOR A POP 200+ card from 1990. But hell, if the market places it at 5k, then that's what it's worth. It's a great card of a great player.
Not to compare it with the 1952 Topps Mantle (please forgive me baseball card gods), but it is far more rare than that if you go by the pop reports. The Thomas NNOF has a cera in mystic to it that I think will transend the all of the other contemporary RC gem mint 10's any day.

Today a print run of 300 sounds like a lot, but that is in large part because of all of the various products that are being made, multiple layers of parralels, brands, and inserts. In an investment sense, I think a lot of collectors would rather go after one of 'THE' key cards of an entire era versus 1,000's of manufactured 1/1's, which are becoming increasingly watered down and worthless (except largely for key rookies in key products).