View Single Post
Old 05-19-2012, 08:50 AM
Daryle Barbee

My favorite Topps set for sure....and not because of value. Started collecting in 1982 and was thrilled when I got my 1st '52 Topps...#1 Pafko from Kit Young for a whopping $11.50...in VG......have since owned 6 of them since and still have one of each back color.
Anyway, I had scattered '52s thorughout the years, maybe no more than 15-20 cards at any one time BUT I always said that if I ever break down and buy the Mantle I will start the set. In 2001 I had maybe 15 '52s. I finally did it.....bought the Mantle.
I started looking at the cards on eBay and realized just how great these cards were so the quest started.
I lucked up and found a dealer that had a huge selection of high numbers fairly priced. I ended buying 48 of the 97 at one time....he cut the sticker price in half since I bought so many.
I started by buying group lots of commons and grabbing the stars as I went along.....finally got card #325 Serena and the set was finished. Now working on the Low Number run of Red/Black combos....lucked up and found a BLACK STAR Campos in an auction listed among some commons....BUT another guy realized what it was so the bidding war started.....got it for under $500..................got the House yellow Tiger, Glaviano, Scheib and Woodling gap in borders, Page and Sain errors and the 3 Boone cards that I know of....probably not gonna worry with the gray back 2nd series run....but do wanna get the Mantle, Thompson and Robinson variations....guess those will be last 3 attempted....anyway, these cards look great in albums....got mine broke down into several albums...Low Number with red backs, Lows with black backs then by series with couple series combined into one album....maybe 10 cards are slabbed but bunches busted out.....LOVE IT.....