Thread: blank backs
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2007, 06:15 PM
Administrator

Default blank backs

Posted By: Kevin

So many questions, as expected (LOL).

"What's the documentation of provenance (sales history, ownership, past existence) on your blank backs? Do you have a receipt from when you bought them?"

Serious(LOL)? The blank backs, blank fronts and completely blank cards in my collection have great provenance. I can certify and say with certainty each have been doctored into their current condition.

"I am thinking that the grading companies can't detect what Kevin has discovered, I don't believe he is removing paper."

True. They have not had any paper removed and are undetecible. Each has passed the scrutiny of the hobby's top grader(s). Yikes, I know this is a topic of debate and personal opinions, so please let's not go there. Some comments were; never before seen, scary and cannot detect.

"To qualify for "Authentic" it would have had to leave the factory without printing on the reverse. The graders should be able to determine this."

There is no way to tell since they look factory authentic...not a fiber disturbed. I'm quite sure graders are not able to determine this. Keep in mind, I have been told many of these doctoring examples are new and unique.

"Perhaps I will let Kevin look at my obak in person to get his opinion."

Many collectors do just that. I've looked at countless cards to render an opinion, most of which are slabbed. At this point the opinion is based on idividual interpretation of objective findings. Not all doctored cards are obvious.

"it would bring many t206 blank back cards under suspicion"

IMHO anything blank from any year (even modern) should be considered suspicious.

(from another thread) "I think Kevin should be working for one of the grading companies."

Ironically I live about 25 miles from PSA and am a contributing writer. My guess is they would claim they already employ the best and keep up to date with the latest doctoring techniques.

Kevin