View Single Post
Old 11-09-2007, 07:51 AM
Administrator

Default Autograph Signers- Best and Worst

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

Paul Hornung is from Louisville here and he used to have a sports showcase tv show and he'd bring in GREAT guests........Muhammad Ali, Joe Namath, Brett Farve, tons of NFL guys, Rose, Steinbrenner, etc. ALL those guys (except Farve) were fantastic signers. Namath stood up the whole time he signed but I bet he signed hundreds of autographs. Oddly enough, Rose was a great signer but he said he would not sign bats. I did get about a dozen balls signed by him one night before he told me not to get back in the line again. He had a Seinfeld-Like puffy shirt on and kind of mauve polyester pants. It was a sight to behold! Anyway, guess Hornung told them that they'd get tons of requests but they were very generous as was he. Signed a couple football mini helmets each and every show for me.

I used to send out hundreds of requests via mail to guys and if they'd sign, I'd continue to send them out. Catfish Hunter was a great signer through the mail and I guess I'd sent too many to him to the point that he one time refused one and wrote 'HOG' on the outside of the envelope. I wish I still had that envelope to this day but I disposed of it. Anyway, he was still a great signer.