View Single Post
Old 08-10-2007, 10:02 PM
Administrator

Default Last card you needed for a set?

Posted By: Anthony

It seems like there is always one card that gives you problems when you are finishing up a set, and I've found it's never one I expected to be tough.I'm not counting cards that were expensive but available, but rather ones that just seem to come up less often than they should. Here's a few of mine:

'49 Leaf- Doby and Goodman.
'54 Red Heart- Snider. Pretty easy in Nr Mint, but once you're looking for a really nice example this one always seems to come up off center.
'54 Wilson- Jablonski, Groth a very distant 2nd.
'56 Topps - Valdieviso and Neal. Someone told me these two were swapped out on the sheet for the checklists. Neal just killed me.
'59 Topps- any of the "no option line" variations. Especially tough since most people don't know the difference and don't list them as such. Same with the '58 team checklists in alphabetical order
'63 Fleer- Clay Dalrymple. Can't imagine Mrs Dalrymple would be that interested in having this card, let alone anyone else. But it's in the set, and it wasn't easy to find.
'64 Giants- Romano. Brinkman a very distant second, along with Boyer.
'67 Topps- Colavito. I'd heard he's a very active buyer of all of his cards, but there must be 3 bazillion out there and it still took weeks to find. I suspect 12 got listed on ebay the week after I found mine.

Ever start a set you know is worthless and not that interesting just out of boredom? And then find out 1 card sat on your wantlist for months or longer? In this category I give you the '70 Kellogg card of Tim Cullen and the '70 Rold Gold of Tris Speaker.

What was the last card you found for any given set that surprised you?