View Single Post
Old 07-16-2015, 09:43 AM
Jason Stricker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
I think the hobby is certainly transitioning.

It seems the short memories and attention span of most of the new Millennial generation makes these new cards seem like a good short term and poor long term investment. Todays new cards are a flipper or speculators dream. I believe this is the reasoning behind demand for "Superfractor" type cards as the loss risk is there but the gains can be exponential. The problem in my mind would be holding these cards long term as it seems the interest in that generation is generally nill the moment those players leave the sport. Only to return for a short term if a HOF possibility is mentioned.

The older cards are certainly in a renaissance currently which I see as holding strong for at least the next 20 years. The issue is the collectors of those cards, even those up to the 1970's are certainly aging. I don't think these cards will hold demand after the Boomers have left except in a much smaller circle. I see a large supply vs. demand of many issues, especially of the modern card era coming around 2025.

To be quite honest as a 41 year old collector, facing the possible accessibility of numerous cards I have always coveted around age 60 sounds nice. However, I think the price I am paying today is going to be regretted.

In retrospect, the happiness these cards bring is worth quite a lot.
+1 Spot on and the reason I collect for fun, not profit/business.