View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013, 11:34 AM
Mike Dugan

I am coming to this thread a little late but this is the first time I have really sorted through the autograph side.

I worked with Dr. Mike Marshall for two years at Henderson State University in the late 1980s. He was indeed a very interesting fellow and was acually a lot of fun to work with.

We would always play a number of northern teams early each Spring as they took their breaks to head south to get in games while the snow melted at home. This would usually be the first time they were out of gym and we would pound them 30-3, 19-3 and our players just couldn't help it.

After many/most of these games a few of the opponents would always ask Mike to sign their gloves or something and I never once saw him refuse. I might also mentioned that many times these teams would play us again at the end of the week and the scores would be much closer after they had seen some sunshine and knocked off some rust. Funny, they were always pretty sunbruned after a week.

Mike kept a stack of black and white Twins postcards on his desk and would stuff one unsigned into each autograph request he received TTM. He also returned everything sent to him unsigned.

We didn't talk about the signing or lack of very often but he loved to talk baseball. He did have some problems interacting with the rest of the university system. Our budget was pathetic and he couldn't understand why, it really created some problems.

When I resigned to move into a different profession he came to my going away party. As he was about to leave he handed me a paper bag, inside were two signed balls. Both of course signed Dr. Mike Marshall.

While I too have had personal issues watching players from different sports act poorly when asked to sign I can honestly say that Mike was always pleasent and never rude. We have had several phone conversations since that time and he is always great talk with.

As far whether a player should sign or not, I have always felt like they should, it is part of the big picture for their sport. The adoration of the fans is where the TV dollars come from ot to mention the ticket money.

I was fortunate, growing up in the early 60s my two favorites were Bart Starr and Mickey Mantle. I had the chance to see both in person and both were great. I think of the thousands of pro athletes I have encountered over the years Bart Starr, Stan Musial, Brooks Robinson and Ernie Banks are by far the best people I have had the chance to ask for an autograph.