View Single Post
Old 01-03-2012, 08:21 AM
T!M R10rd@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsaiko View Post
I'm looking into having it too. I has surgery for a meniscus tear 8 months ago and the doctor totally butchered me, leaving me in much more pain than I was before. I've been searching for an alternative to knee replacement and so far PRP seems to have the best rep. There's so much snake oil out there.
OUCH!

My knees are badly arthritic and I had an issue a little over a year ago where I tore up the meniscus too.

FWIW, the surgeon I saw told me that my knee was so badly arthritic that he didn't think surgery would help because there wasn't enough of the meniscus left to work with, so he wanted to leave that as a last resort and try injections of Euflexxa instead. It is basically a lubricant that should be in a healthy knee. It worked so well in the knee that I had torn up that I had it done to my other knee as well. It really provided a lot of relief and cut way back the need for Advil to get me through the day. It is not permanent but can be repeated, which reminds me that it's probably getting time for think about getting them again.

It was covered by insurance, but even if it wasn't, the relief that I got would have been well worth the cost out of my own pocket.