View Single Post
Old 09-04-2017, 03:09 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

I know they aren't tobacco cards, but for a great example of the humidity scenario look no further than how the lifespan of Kellogg's 3-D cards is affected by the moisture (and lack thereof) in the air. I spent my entire life in and around NYC, where the humidity just gets crazy. Virtually every single Kellogg's card I ever saw eventually was destroyed by the telltale cracks and curving all over them. They basically shrivel up over time!! Some people kept cards in the attic, so that was definitely a factor in expediting the damage, but most kids kept their cards in their rooms or closets, and those babies suffered the same fate. Now (for a few years now) I've been in the semi-desert confines of California, where there is very low humidity, and damn, what a difference it makes!! At shows, the vendors always have Kellogg's cards on hand (which surprised the heck out of me) and they look pristine. When I regale them with stories of cracking and curving, they literally have no idea what I am talking about. Some dealers seem amazed and ask me all sorts of questions about it, almost acting like I am a strange visitor from a distant galaxy, and I get a huge kick out of it (Granted, the 3-D cards are made differently that standard cards, but the point still remains). It is mind blowing how little the humidity is a factor out here, so I imagine AZ must be the perfect place to store your cards.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.