View Single Post
Old 09-05-2017, 09:49 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
Ideally, you don't want heat, but the dry is good. And 70-80 is far from extreme heat. I wouldn't worry much about it.

I stored my childhood collection in a Wisconsin bedroom closet next to the garage that got extreme changes in conditions. Wisconsin is cold in the winter (goes without saying), but also hot and humid in the summer. And my cards survived fine. I think the way the cards are holdered and stacked has more influence on future condition than the climate. Now, if you lived in the Amazon jungle...
I think the holders and stacking are an important part of things. There's what places like LOC say are best, and what a regular person without a government budget can do.

If I remember correctly, 40F and 40% humidity is best for paper, but for nearly all of us that's entirely unreasonable.

I try to have decent holders, and surprisingly, penny sleeves are not at all bad.
I try to avoid a lot of heat, and wide temperature swings. That's not particularly doable in an 1880's house.

In my unscientific test (card in a sleeve left in a sunny spot for a few years) The card didn't fade much compared to the part outside the sleeve, or the cards partly under it. The sleeve got incredibly brittle but protected the card.

All that being said, I've seen stuff stored in good conditions have problems, and stuff stored in absolutely awful conditions that was just fine.

I'd think that the conditions you describe are good, and I wouldn't worry at all.