View Single Post
Old 08-11-2006, 04:55 PM
Administrator

Default Time to come clean!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted By: Brian Weisner

Hi Guys,
I'm not going to argue the fact that there are many cards in holders that have been altered, but I do dispute the theory that no high grade cards existed in the 80's and 90's. I can remember 5 significant finds of T206's during that period that consisted of several thousand cards that were all EX/MT to NM or better. I still have about 45 of the cards from the "Charlotte" find of 1985, when about 350 cards were found in pristine condition. The original owner was a postal employee who's widow sold off the cards one by one at the local flea market. They still look like they were printed yesterday, and to most people on the boards delight are safetly in SGC holders.
There were also several finds in Baltimore and Richmond during this period and the great southern find in Kentucky(TBOB says so) in 1991. Even in the last 2 years there have been 2 finds of over 600 cards in VA and NC, one of which I'm still working on, but haven't been able to finish. One includes Caramels, but the others are strictly T206's and 05's. Are these find's rare? Yes, but they are out there.
I will be happy to post scans of cards from any of the finds on the board, as most have big white beefy borders, but some don't even though they are un altered from the same collection.

I'm sure that "chop shops" exist in cards just as they do in cars, but beleive the numbers of altered cards is smaller than the 50% that's been thrown around on the board. I would guess 10-15 % of all graded cards, but they may be a touch high.
Be well to all Brian

PS I have a huge Big border collection of T206's that will never be chopped anywhere until my kids sell them when I'm in the ground......