Thread: Winston and JSA
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2014, 01:00 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
True. I just can't help but think the education aspect is forgotten. A free education is more valuable over a lifetime than whatever payment you're going to get for playing 4 years of college football. Just because more players don't take their education seriously doesn't mean that they aren't receiving something in return for playing football. If things were to shift towards compensation I'd like to at least see some strict academic guidelines fulfilled in order for you to qualify. You are at a college after all.
Yes, but there are plenty of non-athletes who are in college who do not appreciate the education they have the opportunity to get. You can't make people appreciate it, and there are plenty of football players who DO appreciate it - there are probably as many 'good' stories as 'bad'.

The "strict academic guidelines" is never going to happen. I taught football players at Texas A&M who were dumber than a stick - nice guys, but they really weren't intelligent enough to be in college. The best they could hope for was to get four years of 'growing up' in a structured environment, which is a great thing, along with a few bits of education that they would have missed if they had been somewhere else. You learn from being in school, even if you try not to. Same for life - old people with more years 'put in' in life have learned things just from existing longer than young people. Most young people don't respect or understand that.