Thread: Winston and JSA
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2014, 08:32 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I've heard the student athletes should get paid argument a lot lately. How do you guys feel about the fact that these student athletes, regardless of their future NFL earning abilities, attend schools that cost as much as $40,000 a year for no cost? If your average student is spending $160,000 over 4 years at these schools and you're paying nothing, isn't that enough of a gift?

Not all of these players are NFL prospects, but they receive the benefit of a cost free education. In my opinion if these guys want to start getting paid, they can start paying tuition and their scholarships should go to someone else.
Meant to post earlier but tied up at work. This argument drives me crazy... basically saying-- you already get this, so you can't have anything else, regardless of whether you're worth it or not. Tim Tebow by some accounts was worth over $1B to the university, NCAA and CBS/etc. He can't see any of that??? even if he's just signing his own name???? or appearing at a football camp or speaking function???? Are you kidding???

Major college sports has by far the largest disparity in what they're (star athletes) worth and what they get. The old, truly amature Olympics may have come close, but can't think of anything in today's sports world worse than major college football and college hoops.

Separately, the time they put in year round is probably worth close to, maybe even more than that $40K scholarship money (or maybe $10K-$15K at a public school) if they were to be working a normal job. I went to a smallish IAA school (CP SLO) and kicked around the idea of trying to walk on for my sophomore year. As it was, I was a Mech Eng student, taking 16-18 units, and just couldn't bring myself to get up each morning in the winter for 6am workouts, just to have a shot to try out in the Spring. It's crazy, and I have total respect for guys that can do it. 6am work outs, Spring ball, summer ball/work outs, double days, the season... then start right back over again.

Last edited by itjclarke; 10-16-2014 at 08:52 PM. Reason: disparity