View Single Post
Old 04-03-2013, 07:58 PM
N.ate A.dams

Default Classical music fans? Place to put favorite works!

Hey all, I'm a big fan of all music, but especially of "classical" music. Typically people think that this means you never played sports. I've always gotten that a lot, people sharing their shock and amazement that I'm athletic by saying "Whoa, you're athletic?!?!?!", simply because my main focus is music, and because I direct a church choir and lead the praise band. I understand that thought process, but, as it may be with some of you - this wasn't the case. Thankfully, I've always had well-rounded interests, and played baseball, basketball, and football throughout high school. I also would be in the "musicals" such as Les Miserables.

ANYWAYS, just wanted to offer a place for people to share some of their favorite works.

The criteria: Pre-1920, not because there is nothing good after that, but because I want to stay reasonably focused. I love virtually any GOOD music (which is nearly non-existent today), but I think it will get rather tangential if we post musical links from any era.

Share any context that makes a piece of music more "moving" or whatever, whether it's personal or historical.

Anyways --- I'll start with a piece that's not the most brilliant, but is definitely one of the most popular, and ripped off --- the melody for "All by Myself" was taken from the 2nd movement of this piece.

Context, the pianist in this link was born blind, and is brilliant.

Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto No. 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhKJN...B7E75E10554378

Last edited by npa589; 04-03-2013 at 08:18 PM.