View Single Post
Old 03-12-2018, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post
In 70 years, these will still be a zillion signed Mantle, Dimaggio and Williams items in near mint condition.

Are you really making the argument that someday a signed Mickey Mantle or Ted Williams baseball will sell for $50,000+ like a minty single signed Ruth ball would today? (Adjusted for inflation, it would be a lot more than $50,000.)

I am making the argument that scarcity isn't what makes Ruth's autograph valuable. You're the one who said that because there are a lot of Mantle and DiMaggio's out there they won't ever be as valuable. My point is there are just as many Ruth's as there are anyone's autograph. A ball that's snow white today is not guaranteed to be snow white in 70 years either. I have many balls from the 90s that have already turned brown and you're assuming a lot when you say they'll all survive.

While I don't think anyone will match Ruth's value, I think Mantle and DiMaggio will certainly increase because they have similar things working for them: career Yankees, the biggest sports personalities of their day, and a similar folk hero legacy.

Last edited by packs; 03-12-2018 at 01:33 PM.