View Single Post
Old 12-01-2023, 08:13 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
I've probably seen 10 instances posted on Blowout in the last two years where cards were damaged during slabbing, and got downgraded after the initial scans (and grades) were posted. So a person was notified they got a PSA 10, then PSA dinged the corners while slabbing, and reslabbed the card as an 8 and mailed to the submitter.
I'm not saying this didn't happen (surely, it does sometimes), but I should point out that this is also precisely what people claim when they in fact sent in a card with a corner flaw that was initially missed during grading but caught during QC, which also definitely happens with some degree of regularity.

That said, PSA does damage cards. I had a new corner ding show up on a 1964 Topps Ed Mathews card that I sent them a few months ago. It was a near-perfect copy. Should have been graded as a 9. It came back in a 7 holder with a ding on the corner that definitely was not there before. And I don't miss corner dings. It actually looked over graded after I saw it in hand. They'd usually give that a 6 at best nowadays. Which makes me think the grader is the one who damaged it, not the slabbers.

I take meticulous notes and keep records of every card I submit and what flaws it has. And I know how to grade cards. I use multiple different jeweler's loupes with multiple different lights at every angle. I don't miss corner damage.