Thread: Vote!!!
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2008, 06:53 AM
Administrator

Default Vote!!!

Posted By: gotwins

Leon, Obama won pretty much every major demographic across the board--including white men with a college education or higher. He won every educational level, all age groups except 65 and older, and by some exit polls, won even those who make $200K or more. He would have won even if he only garnered the same % of blacks that Kerry received in 2004.

Tom, your taxes will go up, that is true. Obama understands that the fragility of the economy right now won't allow for much in the way of immediate tax increases, and he will raise taxes only for those making $250K or more. Mark my words, that's where the line will be drawn in 2009. At the end of 2010--halfway through Obama's term, the Bush tax cuts will expire and will not be renewed. Taxes will then return to what they were under Clinton--Obama has said this repeatedly. Although he won't technically be raising taxes, Obama will no doubt get the blame for them going up because of his refusal to extend the cuts. He has been clear on these points.

McCain, by contrast, kept telling people what they wanted to hear, never mind the folly of his words. He promised to get us back on track by eliminating pork--well, if every single earmark was pork that would amount to $18B cut, while $700B was just handed out for the bailout, and another $125B every year goes to Iraq. That's like trying to balance your family budget and avoid foreclosure by discontinuing your subscription to the daily newspaper. Speaking of the budget, he promised to have it balanced by the end of his first term, a statement that is either blatantly dishonest or Palinesquely naive. No new taxes but expect a trillion dollar deficit to be cured in four years through his "stimulus" ideas, ideas keenly similar to those of the current President. In the words of Roger Daltrey: "Meet the new boss, same as the old boss". Americans saw that as tripe.

Barry, I agree with you on all points regarding McCain's campaign. He really had two major decisions that would reflect on his temperment and judgment--VP and campaign manager--and he chose Sarah Palin and the Karl Rove school. They doomed him, but he has no one to blame but himself.

Tough times ahead, but I really like our chances more now than I did yesterday at this time.