View Single Post
Old 03-08-2014, 03:37 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

International News Service was founded by William Randolph Hearst (think Citizen Kane) in 1909 to compete with the Associated Press and United Press. It eventually merged with United Press in 1958 to form United Press International (UPI) which is still an ongoing operation.

There are a couple of pay services that allow you to view and get pdfs of old newspapers from archives they have scanned, and Google has done the same thing as well with some others that are freely available and turn up in Google searches. The trick is finding the right publication that the photo appeared in and digging down to the particular article it ran with. If it was used at all. It can be done, but is usually VERY time-consuming unless you have a good initial lead to go with (such as a publication's file stamping with a specific date) and can find where that publication has a scanned/searchable archive online.

If you're just trying to figure out if it's Horween or not, your best course would probably be to find other images of Horween that are known to be him, and compare to your photo. I'm attaching the only image that I have of him, which I grabbed off of eBay at some point (hence the big HistoricImages watermark plastered across it, so I guess that's some free advertising for them). It's pretty blurry, so probably not much help, but it's all I have.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Horween1.jpg (69.5 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg Horween2.jpg (69.2 KB, 76 views)