Thread: 94 SP Arod
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2016, 01:44 AM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls7plus View Post
If you think 3-4% compounded annually is a good investment. Over one million printed plus more gems for Upper Deck employees. Just way, way too many. An iconic card? Yes. A good investment? Don't bet the farm (or even a small, backyard vegetable garden) on it. 3-4% may even be highly optimistic in a true COLLECTOR'S MARKET, not a speculative, investor's--that would mean its value would double every 18-24 years. There's still a lot of pack-fresh, ungraded one's out there.

Best of luck in your collecting,

Larry
To be fair you never said when your friend made the decision to invest in griffey. It's pretty difficult to calculate an annual rate of return without that information. They have gone up about 100% in the last 3 years which is a decent rate of return.

I'm not personally betting the farm on them, I have 2 PSA 10 griffeys in my personal collection, along with a few of his other less expensive rookies. One I picked up for 200, and the other I pulled a couple of weeks later from one of those leaf best of baseball boxes. I do believe they're still buys at current prices. But if they go up to a grand or more, or drop back to 200 or less, they will stay in my collection as 89 was my first year collecting as a kid and griffey was my favorite player. I always wanted one back then, even ripped open a few packs trying to find one but never did at the time.