Thread: April Pick-Ups
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2018, 05:06 PM
M@rk Comer

Default Brooks Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchillo View Post
Mark - I agree the SGC holders make a world of difference. I'll be getting a display case for them at some point. I can do individual pics of them. To be honest I bought on a budget so while some of them are nice clean cards some of them are a mess (67/72 comes to mind).

Reason for the Brooks run. A couple of reasons. I am a HOF/Autograph junky. I go to Cooperstown every year during induction weekend and can't get enough of it. I have a signed baseball collection approaching around 100 unique single signed HOF balls. I am struggling with the concept of paying some of the recent guys $100 to $200 and I don't need duplicate baseballs. So I have started getting RC's signed. But mainly the Brooks run is for a few reasons

1 - Card Affordability - besides 57/67 his cards are very affordable.
2 - Years he played - I really love all the Topps sets especially from 52 to the mid 70's and he is in almost all of them. So I get to see all the 60's together etc.
3 - TTM - he does TTM and money goes to charity. Win/win for everyone. If I had to pay $70/card - I would get his RC signed and that would be it.

He's also one of my favorites for some reason. I like guys who get a lot of props for their defense but also put up nice offensive numbers (Brooks/Bench etc). Something about being HOF caliber both offensively and defensively makes those guys intriguing to me.
Stephen,

Thanks for the response. I personally have never submitted any cards to SGC, or PSA for that matter, but to me it adds to the overall look of the individual cards in my view. Sure will look nice displayed together. I’m not really much of a condition freak and on signed cards I mainly focus on the placement of the sigature and it’s not faded, light or creases affecting the signed area. Other than that I’m good.

Brooks has always been my favorite player so anything related I enjoy seeing and it’s nice when others share their items related to him. I really don’t know why I never really did a Brooks autograph run prior to recently , so I guess it’s long overdue. I’m trying to be a tad picky, but I get in a hurry and have already picked up a few that I’d like to get better examples. Looks like you’re only missing a few more. I need the ‘57 as well and hopefully a nice example will come along.

Your reasons for doing an autographed run related to the the greatest third baseman of all time sound like terrific reasons to do so...