View Single Post
Old 04-12-2019, 12:21 PM
Robert D!ll!ngham

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
I've had a Michael Jordan rookie for 30+ years. I would love to think it would grade PSA 9, but with my luck it will not. If I pay $75 to have it graded by PSA because I list the value at under $2000, do you believe that could influence the grade--since a PSA 9 would seemingly cost a $200 or $500 grading fee?

I have never submitted a card to PSA and have grown skeptical if not jaded in my old age.

BTW, maybe the question is moot because if I submit the card I will do so in person at the National. Can someone provide the onsite grading fee schedule and procedure if I go that route? Thanks.

EDITED TO ADD: I realize my precise situation is more properly one post-1980 and basketball, but I thought the question would get more eyes here--plus it would seem to apply regardless of the the card subject. Thanks for your consideration.

I'll try to answer your questions.

First, a Jordan RC should be graded. For better or worse, that's possibly THE most forged card in our hobby, or at least one of them top 5. If you're looking to sell it anytime, you'll do better if it's slabbed.

It's my understanding that paying the higher fee will not influence their grading. From my experience, I would never "expect" a 9 on any submission. Pay the $75 fee for <$2k card. If it comes back a 9, they will contact you and require you pay the fee for the next higher service level - at which time you'll be happy to pay it because you're now the owner of a PSA 9 Jordan RC. One thing I can promise you is if you pay the next higher service level fee and it comes back a 6, they will not refund you any money.

The biggest advantage to submitting in person is avoiding the shipping fees. Last year's national, they allowed cards <$2k to be graded for $50 (source: https://www.psacard.com/national). This year, who knows. As they do most every year, they've increased their submission fees. You might save a few bucks by doing that. Up to you.

Good luck with your submission.

Last edited by rsdill2; 04-12-2019 at 12:23 PM.