View Single Post
Old 01-26-2021, 10:12 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASF123 View Post
How about this one?

Yesterday I saw a card offered on eBay with a BIN of $99.99. That was a good, but not jaw-dropping, price. I would have paid it, but as a Chicago resident, as of Jan. 1 I'm paying 10.25% tax on every. single. card. I buy, thanks to our politicians. So I offered $90 to offset that. Figured it would either get accepted or a counter at $95, and done deal. Or, of course, someone could pull the trigger on the BIN.

What I did not expect was to see an email that the card had sold at $87. I contacted the seller to ask if he got my (higher) offer. Yeah, he said - but the other guy offered first, and they were close enough, so I just sold it to him.

Fair enough, I responded, but I hope you can understand how that's frustrating from a buyer's perspective. He said he understood that it wasn't logical, but essentially that's what I get for not taking the BIN. "You left it in the judge's hands."

OK, but so did the other guy, and you rewarded him for making the lower offer??
To me it makes the seller a stand up person. They accepted the first offer that was high enough for them to sell.